The 2013-2014 Razor Clam Season kicks off this weekend on Peninsula Beaches. Take advantage of the four day dig and stay the weekend on Washington’s beautiful Long Beach Peninsula. With 28 miles of white sand beaches stretching along the peninsula, there is plenty of beach for everyone to dig their 15 clam limit! Digging is open from the Columbia River north jetty to Leadbetter Point. Stop by the Visitors Bureau for a free tide book.
Where can I purchase a Razor Clam License?
On your way into town, check out the Seaview Shell Station for a hot cup of coffee and a Shellfish License!
Dennis Company in Long Beach, is your one-stop-shop for all things clamming You can find everything you need from boots, shovels, clam guns, and nets, to warm clothing, lanterns, and Shellfish Licenses!
After digging your limit head over to Veteran’s Field for Fungus Festival at the Columbia-Pacific Farmers’ Market in downtown Long Beach from 4-7 PM. Local forager, Veronica Williams, of All Wild, will be giving a presentation at 4:30 pm. She will share information on the different kinds of mushrooms, how to forage and the do’s and don’ts of foraging. Mushrooms and other foraged items will be available for purchase in addition to the usual market offerings.
Between your weekend digs you can stop by the Long Beach Grange Indoor Market this Friday and Saturday from 10AM to 4PM.This market features a variety of products including farm-fresh eggs, home-baked goods, handcrafted items, goat milk products, and gifts. You never know what you will find at the market!
Check out some amazing vintage photographs at the Charles Fitzpatrick Pen & Photo show at the Columbia Pacific Heritage Museum in Ilwaco. Charles Fitzpatrick (1884-1971) was a local who chronicled over 40 years of visual history on the Long Beach Peninsula. You will see many postcards, photographs, and drawings representing the working artist who found inspiration in local subjects like razor clam digging, salmon fishing, and many of the everyday scenes of the historic Peninsula.
Approved October Digs:
- Oct. 4, Friday, 6:56 p.m.; 0.0 feet; Long Beach
- Oct. 5, Saturday, 7:36 p.m.; -0.4 feet; Long Beach
- Oct. 6, Sunday, 8:17 p.m.; -0.7 feet; Long Beach
- Oct. 7, Monday, 9:48 p.m.; -0.8 feet; Long Beach
- Oct. 18, Friday, 6:57 p.m.; -0.6 feet; Long Beach
- Oct. 19, Saturday, 7:38 p.m.; -0.7 feet; Long Beach
- Oct. 20, Sunday, 8:16 p.m.; -0.7 feet; Long Beach
Events on the Horizon
- Columbia Pacific Farmers’ Market – Long Beach, Fridays through October 11, 2013
- Wild Mushroom Celebration – Pacific County-Wide October 1 – November 15, 2013
- Water Music Festival – Peninsula-Wide, October 11-13, 2013
- Peninsula Arts Center presents Ezra Holbrook – Long Beach, October 12, 2013
- Peninsula Arts Association Fall Show – Long Beach, October 11-14, 2013
- Cranberrian Fair – Ilwaco, October 12-13, 2013
- Cranberry Harvest at the Cranberry Museum - Long Beach, October 12-13, 2013
- One Sky, One World Kite Fly For Peace – Long Beach, October 12-13, 2013